Tuesday, February 07, 2006

I Saw COLDPLAY Last Night


Welcome back. You belong here.

On the floor (106) of the Pond in Anaheim, there they were, COLDPLAY. Chris Martin was amazing, even though forgetting a few words and missing a few notes. But the guys is a genius and the band was nearly flawless. This was my first Coldplay concert.

"Yellow", "Fix You", an acoustic/impromptu version of "Trouble", the classic "Clocks" and "Scientist", as well as the newer "Speed of Sound" and "Talk to You", all were unbelievable. The late arriving crowd (we got there early and sat through Fiona Apple, strange lady) filled the Pond to capacity, the room was loud and filled with anticipation and energy. At one point, as I stood there singing/yelling/crying along to "Fix You", my mouth just opened and I stared. I couldn't believe the moment, it was perfect, magical, emotional.

COLDPLAY is the greatest band in the world, their songs are beautiful, their sound is polished yet passionate, their lyrics and melodies are meaningful and sensitive, they engage my soul. The four of us friends that went had a magical night.

Here's the review from the Orange County Register. Pretty accurate. I fall more in between the 20 year old and the 40 year old's response.

Have a great day.

Into the future,

davidT