Monday, May 04, 2009

Is that a Good Sign? I Don't Think So

Welcome back. You belong here.

Back at work, communication breakdowns in many places. I spoke to one of our producers today and she was pretty frustrated at the "lack of communication." How many times have you heard that?

Looking back at last week (I was off last week), the issue is nobody picked up the "communication ball" (I should coin that, I just did!).

Logistics were not communicated, info was not transfered and people were frustrated. At one event this last week, 20 people didn't know whether to eat or not eat. One thing I've learned: never mess around with people's food!

So the "communication ball" got dropped. I usually carry that ball and run with it, but it got dropped while I was gone. Is this a good thing? Do I feel important and special? No.

This tells me it's still "My Ball to Carry" which means I have to do a better job of creating a culture of communication and train the "communication team" to carry the ball and catch it when I'm gone. Someone needs to be the point person on communication, know what this means (big job) and run with it.

Another lesson is not to play the "blame game". No one is to blame! The Communication Ball is to blame. The main thing again, is not to blame and make anyone feel bad, instead to call them to communication and following the line all the way to the end. That's what I'm going to do.

Good lessons...

Have a great day.

Into the future,

davidT