Thursday, August 11, 2005

I Would Go Back to Russia


Welcome back.

As I spend time being home, thinking back on our trip to Russia 2 weeks ago, I would go back. There were so many connections for me there. I've been to Hungary, Nicaragua twice, local stuff, and Russia connected well with me. There were times walking around the camp, playing music, or walking the streets of Moscow when I felt like I was in Managua, Nicaragua. It seemed familiar.

Some of the points of contact:
1. The need for the Church to grow and expand is great. The Russian Orthodox faith is largely dead. And the Christian church is just getting started, about 3% of the population.

2. Young people everywhere. God uses young men and women to move the Kingdom forward. And as you walk around Moscow, it's obvious the new generation is all around, yet they are more interested in fashion, alcohol and sex than in God. That's not very different than in the U.S. God can do miracles.

3. Russia Inland. The organization in Russia, led by Russian leaders with U.S. support, is well organized. They do ministry among orphans, children, they do soccer camps, Christmas shoe box "Samaritan's Purse", host missionary teams (like ours), medical work, construction, work with youth on the streets on drugs and alcohol, they're well put together and are doing the real tough stuff.

4. Churches Need Training. Pastors have very little theological training, need help in mentorship and discipleship.

5. Children's Camps are Effective. Our camp was amazing. The children really need those times of love, encouragement, fun and learning about Jesus.

I don't speak Russian, that's a huge problem. But working with Russians who speak English is a start. I would like to take my wife with me next time, but our children are too small to be left alone for 3-4 weeks. God will lead us if He wants us to go back.

Picture: Russia mission's trip. Streets of Moscow, near Red Square.

Into the future,

davidT