Wednesday, April 20, 2005

TobyMac on the Need for More Ethnicity

TobyMac says it well...we need more of this. Acts such as "Grits" and other hip-hop bands are still under represented at these events.

But let's be grateful that it's happening.

My wife is White, I am Latino/Nicaraguan/American. My life is diverse. My children are diverse. My city is diverse. My family is diverse. My music is diverse. Let's keep it going.

Switchfoot, Crabbs, Crowns Win Big - News - Christian Music Today: "TobyMac, who won Rap/Hip-Hop Album of the Year for Welcome to Diverse City, was pleased to see more racial diversity at the GMA event and throughout the industry, but he also made a plea for even more.

'My wife is Jamaican,' he said. 'My life is diverse. My family is diverse. My label is diverse. My record is diverse. … I'm not saying [the GMA or contemporary Christian music] is maliciously racist. But if we want to be the best we can be as an industry, that side of music has to be represented.'"