Saturday, July 02, 2005

The ONE Campaign, Signed It


Welcome back.

My wife and I signed the The ONE Campaign and are willing to give, wear the white bracelet, etc. The Live8 Concert is today (remember Live Aid?).

How can we cannot get involved in this in some way? It was Jesus who told us to "go and make disiciples of all nations..." Making Poverty History is part of what discipleship looks like today. It's the kind of mercy and justice that God speaks of. I like what the Pope said, "God intended the earth and all it contains for the use of everyone and of all peoples."

Nicaragua is on the 'cancel the debt' list.

I am just convicted that we (that I) as Americans live such a selfish life. We have so much and give so little. I know we all give, but we can give more if we take less for ourselves. 1% of your budget, that's what they're asking the richest nations of the world to do. That sounds like a good goal for all of us. So instead of giving 10%, give 11%, if you give 5%, give 6%, that sort of thing. The Bible tells those of us that are rich to give, not be arrogant and to trust in God not our riches:

1 Timothy 6: 17Command those who are rich in this present world not to be arrogant nor to put their hope in wealth, which is so uncertain, but to put their hope in God, who richly provides us with everything for our enjoyment. 18Command them to do good, to be rich in good deeds, and to be generous and willing to share. 19In this way they will lay up treasure for themselves as a firm foundation for the coming age, so that they may take hold of the life that is truly life."

As far as rockers thinking they can change the world, I'm fine with their help. I wish I was a rock star so I could bring attention to these issues. As Dave Matthews said, "I don't care why artists show up, what their motivations are...the goal is what is happening right now, a crisis that is too often ignored is getting attention."

See the concerts live now via webcast.

Into the future,

davidT