Thursday, November 04, 2004

Add Value to Your Emergent Leaders

Larry, Seth, David, Lou, Dutze, I have 5-6 young worship leaders and countless other artists and musicians around that want development, but they all need different things. Some are very self-motivated. The leaders usually are. Others need a little more prodding, but they want to make a difference too. Some need guitar lessons, voice lessons, a Cd and songbook with new songs. Others need equipment, keys. Some need Bible study, spiritual guidance, some need a friend. Almost all of them need someone to invest INTO them.

The church and worship bands, can be guilty of having people join MY VISION. In other words, who can help me?

Instead, I've been reading and trying this idea of "adding value to leaders around me." It's the idea of 'you're good, I can make you better.'

There is a young singer that has a gift from God. She is trained, coaches others, teaches music at the local high school. She sings a lot and doesn't think she 'needs' me in her life, or to join 'my thing.' She's right. But I could see she was struggling with her pop/rock sound. She would sing songs of that style, and was hesitant in some parts, good but not great. And also, she was unconnected to the church. I know that type, artists without connection beyond the stage.

So I approached her 2-3 times and said, 'you're good, here's why you need me..." A bit forward, but I explained to her what I meant. I complimented her on her gifts, her talent, her songs. All artists, and people for that matter, need that. Then I told her of why our ministry could benefit HER. I spoke of community, connection, passion for worship, and of finding a pop/rock sound. She was hooked. She is now been at every rehearsal and can't wait to sing. Now that I have a captive audience in her and her husband, we're talking about connection to the body. Sensitive issue, she has many excuses, etc. But we have the relationship, and I mentioned this to her from upfront, at the first interview. So it's no surprise. I am praying and talking about how to see them grow in their marriage. What gave me the chance to speak into her life? I'm trying to Add Value to her as a singer and musician. She feels invested into, she may be willing to hear my spiritual advice as well. I hope so.

This article on "Value Added" says the same things in a great way. Maxwell.