Friday, November 05, 2004

I Am Story Teller Style Preacher

Reading "Refining Your Teaching Style", a book on the different approaches to preaching - story telling (Max Lucado), revolutionary (McManus), artist (Rob Bell, Trotter) and others, I am none of them 100%, but I am closest to the story-telling style.

The danger of the story-teller is you can preach just fluff, not the Word. I can struggle with that. Max Lucado says the same thing.

The way to improve the story telling style is to refine how you tell the story, cleaning it up, creating tension, climaxing the end, retyping the paragraph a few times, etc.

The strength of story-telling is that stories break people's barriers and open the heart.

I'm glad God's given me this gift. I also relate to the visionary style, revolutionary and artistic styles. Those are not as strong a passion, but story telling is.

I think one trait of this gift is that I see a story just about everywhere. My day is a moving, passionate story, interrupted by the normal here and there.