Friday, December 31, 2004

Gramma Has Been at the Center

We're home this morning, resting. We slept well last night. God's grace. No medical updates as of now.

This morning, I realized how my grandmother has been the center of my cultural and Spanish soul. Here at home, I speak Spanish all the time, to our children, to myself, to the walls. I do this because it's my soul speaking. I also do this because I knew my grandmother was near, hearing me, laughing at my jokes, my thoughts...."Que niƱos tan lindos! Te quiero desde que saliste de ese lugar tan oscuro! Te veo mas bello hoy que nunca...." "You children are so beautiful, I've loved you since the day you were born, you look more beautiful to me now than ever..." Stuff like that.

She would always listen in, laughing at me, understanding me, getting it.

I am missing that today.