Thursday, December 30, 2004

Who is My Grandmother to Me

Grandmothers are always special. To me, abuelita is like my mom and dad. She has raised me basically from 13 on. When the Sandinista war forced my parents to send me to Long Beach at age 13, I came to live with my grandmother. Since then, we've lived together. First, I lived in her 1-bedroom apartment at 843 Raymond Ave in Long Beach, CA 90804, 562-439-8724, for 10 years until I married. Prior to that, I came twice to visit when I was 9 and later about 11. During those times, she used to walk to me to elementary school, go clean 2-3 houses to support us and come by in the afternoon and pick me up from Willard Elementary on Freeman Ave. in LB.

Then Rachelle and I got married and my grandmother lived with her son for two-three years. Then about 6 years ago, she moved into our home and we were together again.

In those last 6 years she helped us shape and raise our three children. About a month ago I asked her, "abuelita, y yo como soy, soy un buen hombre?" (gramma, what about me, am I a good man?)...She said, "sos un buen hombre, y un buen marido, y buen padre....pero mucho gritas..." She said, "you're a good man, and a good husband and father...but you talk too much." I have felt the love of those words. They have meant a lot to me. Sometime this year I also asked her if she felt I loved her and she told me, 'yo se que me queres...' "I know you love me."

I think we all love someone(s) desperately. That sense of overwhelming, almost painful love that we have for a special few. It includes the sharing of life, time together, who knows what all. For me, my grandmother is one of those people. I love her that way.

Update: Last night, we just had to go be with her. She was alone at the hospital, so my mom, Rachelle and I drove to UCI Medical Center where she is and spent the night with her. She is not showing signs of waking up. Sometime today, we will decide when to take the next step which would include life support.

I am praying for miracles. But I have surrendered her life to Jesus. She is His, her faith in Jesus Christ was real and she will be with Him. God knows the number of her days. We are trusting Him.