Thursday, December 23, 2004

Scare With Squats

I was doing heavy squats earlier today and for a second I let go of my grip of the bar with my left hand and I almost lost control of the bar atop my shoulders. I didn't know what to do. Drop it....hmmm, the weights might fall on the back of my legs. Tilt to one side or the other...I had too much weight on either side, my back would take most of the hit.....better think quick....I could feel all my senses and nerve endings totally awake! My shoulder muscles tightened up, making the bar feel even heavier on my shoulders...I probably had about 200lbs on my back. Finally, got my hands underneath the bar again, controlled it, balanced it, backed up into the squat rack....I was okay.

I walked around for 10mns. just relaxing. It freaked me out. That's how you learn good form and safety. That won't happen again.