Wednesday, December 01, 2004

Who Should Be A Church Planter

Alex at Mosaic and the Origins Project, speaks about what it takes to plant a church. Some of his conclusions are:
1. A person who has to reach people
2. A person who must impact culture

I think the question you should ask, if you're thinking of planting a church, is "do I have an attitude of "I must reach" people?" and second, "am I someone who impacts culture?"

"Last week I spoke at a very cool Willow Creek style church in Michigan. The leader of their 20/20 church-planting network, Nick, reminded me of something fundamental. In selecting church planters it isn't enough to find someone who "wants" to plant a church. The right guy "has to" reach people, "must" impact culture, and he'll attempt it with or without our money, our buildings, and our structures. May their tribe increase, right?"


Church planters that build good churches (not size but impact), usually have an evangelistic gift. And I know there are many stories of success out there that have little to do with size. I agree. But these guys also have a leadership gift. Teaching gift? Some have it, some don't. There are other models, such as church within a church and house networks that don't require those gifts. But starting a new church, is a leadership, vision, entrepreneur endeavor. It's not for everyone.

If you're not a church planter, be what you are, there are plenty of ministries that need remodeling, reinventing and so forth. Be you and be the best.

I know church planting is sexy. What is not sexy is doing something you're not supposed to be doing. I sometimes lament the lack of 'alternatives' for those who are not church planters. Currently I see few options:
1. Stay and - a. Be miserable b. Try to change the culture or c. Become the culture
2. Church plant
3. House church
4. Sunday night service

I'm currently doing #1b and #4, decided not to do #2 and haven't thought about #3. But "I still haven't found what I'm looking for..." but instead I'm finding obedience to the challenges ahead of me today. And I am waiting on God to open a door of opportunity, or perhaps He's waiting for me to walk through it.