Wednesday, February 16, 2005

Brian McLaren: How can worship call Christians to look beyond themselves?

I think the song I just wrote, "We Proclaim" (see below) has a global/world orientation. As Brian says here, more are needed. I agree. Less "I'm overwhelmed with you" and more "all the nations will praise your great name." Feel me?

Brian McLaren: How can worship call Christians to look beyond themselves?

Brian McLaren:

"I wish that some of our songwriters would start writing songs that send us into the world in a spirit of service and love. I’ve been working on a few in this regard – we need a lot. As well, our prayers and benedictions can give us an orientation toward our world and our neighbors – for better or worse. I hope you’ll consider coming to the Worship, Art, Liturgy and Preaching conference in April at Asbury Seminary – this should be a topic of dialogue for us there. As well, we need to create some venues to share ideas and resources, since they might not be picked up by “mainstream religious media.”