Friday, February 04, 2005

My gramma's 'palo'

Last night I went into my gramma's closet....I love being in there, it's like she's there, the smells, her medicines and ointments, her clothes, her pictures. I took out her baston (her cane) and left it by her bed. It was such a big part of her daily life...el "palo" the stick, as I used to call it. It reminds me of her. I miss her today.

We would get in my truck to go to Big Lots, Kmart, etc. and she'd bring her palo and put it next to her. That gray, shinny stick helped my gramma get around. It was also a reminder of her daily struggle with her knees. Wow, she was in constant, deep pain. Then she had her 1st major knee surgery last March and things got worse for a few months then she felt much better. She was getting ready to have her other knee done this month.

Her knees are better now.

Every night before bed I'd go in her room, she'd be watching some Spanish TV show, and I'd kiss her goodnight. I'd say, "la quiero mucho toya (a nickname I had for her), ya me voy a dormir..." I love you gramma, I'm going to bed now. And she'd say, "yo tambien, buenas noches amor..." I love you too, good night love. I did that every night. I still do that. I go into her room at night and blow her a kiss.