Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Should I not buy any new Macs until the Intel-based Macs arrive?

Oh.....now I get it! Yeah right. But the question is worth asking. I guess I'll never get (neither will anyone else) the G5 PowerBook I was saving up for. I better sell my G4 PowerBook now while it's still worth something and save to buy the new stuff in 2007. Amazing stuff. I never thought we'd be here, but change happens, change happens.

Macworld: Feature: Apple & Intel: What you need to know: "Should I not buy any new Macs until the Intel-based Macs arrive?

It depends on what your needs are and what your current Macs are. Over the next year, Apple’s going to be coming out with numerous advancements on existing PowerPC-based Mac models. And keep in mind, according to Apple the PowerPC won’t be completely eradicated from the company’s product line until late 2007. If you’ve got an aging Mac system, do you want to wait until 2007 to get a new one? If you bought a new Mac today, you could be pretty confident that it would serve you well for several years and probably wouldn’t become obsolete any faster than it would normally, given the march of time.

Then again, if you’re comfortable with the Mac systems you’ve got now, and don’t feel the need to buy a Mac for a while, waiting until Apple crosses the next barrier might be a good idea. Or it might not, because…"