Monday, January 03, 2005

It is Over


Gramma died peacefully tonight at 6:15pm and is now in the presence of the Lord free of pain. The Lord gave us gramma, the Lord has taken her away, "blessed be the Name of the Lord." (Job 1)

We took her off the respirator at 6pm tonight after being unstable all day. And in 15 minutes, surrounded by all her children and I, she went to be with Jesus. My grandmother knew of the Lord in a personal way, and we don't "grieve as those who have no hope." But we still grieve. (1 Thess. 4)

She went peacefully, without pain, her eyes closed, all of us holding her hands, loving her face and hair, while her numbers slowly dwindled. Her pulse, her heart, her breathing, all began to slow down naturally, normally peacefully. It was a natural part of life, a privilege to be there.

Her service will be sometime this week, we still need to finalize those details. She will have her service at East Side Christian Church in Long Beach, CA her Spanish church, with her pastor Candido Alegria. She will be buried at Forest Lawn, Cypress.

We spoke to our children tonight. Canela (almost 6) asked about when she would be put in the ground. She said that only her body would be there, and her spirit would be with Jesus. Isabela (3) was sad, she kept saying, "I don't want gramma to die."

Personally, it's been a day of tears and happy memories. I grieve, I miss my grandmother. Being home brings her to mind. Right about this time, she would usually walk in the kitchen, I can hear her slow, quiet pace, to get a little something. I will miss my grandmother. This will be a long road. But I know my God walks besides me and I have friends and family near me.

We have received many calls and notes. Thank you for your love and support, we need it. We'll keep you posted.