Monday, January 17, 2005

My Next Assignment

Part of me says, you don't need a next assignment, do what you're doing and do it faithfully unto God. But I like to think about the future, so...

As I ponder on my grandmother's life, my assignment since I came to live with my gramma, was to take care of her. I did that to the best my heart and soul could do. I was there with her, until the very end.

I feel God has been revealing, actually more like opening the door to things he has already called me to:
1. Love and Serve my wife more
2. Do ministry together with people and spend more time with them in community

I can't describe the 'difference' this will actually be. Is it more BBQ's and retreats? Yes, part of it. But it's deeper. It's giving myself to people. The last six years I've focused on helping raise our three children, caring for gramma, helping her through major knee surgery, and doing a remodel. All while being faithful to my call to serve in the Kingdom at Bethany.

But this is a new phase of service. It's not all doing, but it does include that, especially as our children get older and Rachelle is giving me the green light saying, 'we're good, keep going...' It's very important for me to hear and feel that from her.

So today's BBQ was fun because of this. Carlos, Milton, his mom, Juice, Lucy, Larry, Lucy, Dad Baker, Mom Baker, uncle Albino, on the phone with Justin and Phil, my mom and my family all were here today. And you know what? I did well. I enjoyed it. I didn't think (well, maybe once), oh no more people! Not that I don't need time alone, or I'm suddenly becoming an extrovert, I'm not. But, it's a heart thing, a Spirit of God thing, a door that's being opened and I'm not having to DO it, God is flowing through this thing and His love is at work. Praise be to Him.

I also served my wife today, just stuff around the house.

I also know I'm not superman. I had my moment around 6:30pm when I got fed up and said a few things under my breath. That's okay. But God held me in, he was here today with me. Oh yes, and I got on the treadmill, that was fun.

The verse that I'm trying to live out is 1 Peter 1:
22Now that you have purified yourselves by obeying the truth so that you have sincere love for your brothers, love one another deeply, from the heart.