Monday, May 30, 2005

Colplay on My Mind

Picture: Chris Martin, from Coldplay.

Welcome back.

I will be the voice of why Coldplay will change the way we feel about music. I can't escape them. These days, "Warning Sign" is captivating me. What a song. Call them "lifestyle music" (as Radiohead does) or whatever you want to call them, I call them passionate.

They're everywhere yes, and Chris Martin has a foul mouth (have you noticed?). Nonetheless, I joined their coldplay.com site and put in my request for 4 tickets for their August show here at Verizon in Irvine, CA. I hope I get to see them. Oh yes, and their "X&Y" CD is due out next week.

In their last week's Newsweek interview, they spoke about music, rehearsals and love (as an artist, I just love this kind of talk):

On...being the best ever

"Are we trying to get to the next level? Yes. We're trying to get to the very highest level. We want to be better than Mozart. That doesn't mean we are, but that's what we're trying for. To me, there's no point in trying for anything less."

and...on love

"We're like an eager dog just yapping around their heels, and they're trying to kick us away (speaking of Radiohead). It's like unrequited (not reciprocated) love. I'm in love with a lot of things. Some of those things love me back. And some of them don't--and one of them is Radiohead."

and...on what their lyrics mean

"I mean, I don't know. I don't give a...what they're about. They're about what they're about...if you listen to the lyrics, you can pretty well tell."

and....on rehearsing, jamming

"And when you get into the studio, still thinking you're the greatest ever. So you think...Then you play it back and you slowly realize, 'Actually, that's....that's not very good.' After a break to recharge, the guys gathered in a dingy north London rehearsal space, where they spent weeks jamming until things started to click."

Into the future,

davidT